7 ways to prevent pressure sores:
- Change is as good as a holiday – shift your position often and perform pressure lifts every 20 minutes.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff – avoid moisture of any kind & invest in a good quality cushion cover.
- Out with the old, in with the new – cushions have a limited lifespan. Replace, before they lose their pressure relieving qualities.
- Get it right the first time – CE utilizes OT’s and Pressure Mapping to take out the guess work with technology & professional expertise.
- Don’t let things slide – sliding or sheer forces can cause more damage than pressure, so avoid sheer during transfers.
- You are what you eat– Poor nutrition and smoking contribute to poor skin health and increase the risk of pressure sores.
- Dress for success- Don’t wear pants with buttons or thick seams and pockets that can cause pressure points.